I was asked recently if I had any suggestions for some good reads for teenage boys.
Here are my top ten in no particular order:
1. Artemis Fowl series - Eoin Colfer
2. Harry Potter series - J K Rowling
3. Holes - Louis Sacher
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
5. The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak
6. Tomorrow, when the war began series - John Marsden
7. Lockie Leonard series - Tim Winton
8. Jurrasic Park - Michael Crichton
9. The boy in the striped pajamas - John Boyne
10. Con-nerd - Oliver Phommavanh
This collection represents a little bit of everything - fantasy, science fiction, drama, thriller, comedy and a whole lot of escapism.
The trick to hooking in a teen is finding out what they are interested in...if they like cooking, get them reading a cook book, and then get them in the kitchen!